My extensive management and coaching experience have given me the ability to quickly assess and offer mutually beneficial solutions. I intuitively understand people and their individual natures. I am able to design and coach employees to recognize and be comfortable with their strengths which in turn provides a rich and rewarding customer experience. I am a hands on, manager with a centered leadership presence, particularly in the midst of challenges and conflict. My style is to work from the inside out, with individuals or organizations, this builds balanced focused individuals or teams who work from a core strength, to better able them to meet the goals while feeling supported and fulfilled.
I have proven results in developing teams that can deliver a customer experience that relates directly to the profitability of an organization. I draw on insight and current assessments of an organization, and develop a step-by-step plan to generate the desired results.
I am a highly skilled coach, helping top managers and owners develop the capacity required for in person customer contact. They learn to recognize the next strategic steps needed to build a strong foundation, effective systems and uncover the business culture, which can translate into a successful transparent business strategy.
Dynamic Hospitality Executive
Goal oriented, guest focused executive with 20+ years’ experience successfully creating, and executing initiatives that drive revenue, lower costs, and differentiate independent properties from a brand. Proactive manager who inspires high performance with a proven track record in building and leading cross-functional, diverse teams to achieve measurable results and deliver an exceptional customer experience. Able to lead across a variety of disciplines: marketing, sales, operations and customer service.
Hospitality Consultant – Self-Employed – Mountain View, CA 2010-Present
• Consultation on local hotel and restaurant projects, created pro forma, opening budgets and design concepts.
• Reviewed and recommended improvements on existing operational procedures.
General Manager– Maple Tree Inn – Sunnyvale, CA 2012-2016
Transitional Leadership for a 178-room independently owned Silicon Valley hotel which was undervalued in the current market.
• Bridged gap between the hotel and comp set, increased ADR and REVPAR by 60% as of year end 2015
• Created and implemented strong sales and marketing plan, which attracted new and maintained core
clientele in turn, increased overall revenue.
General Manager – Stanford Terrace Inn – Palo Alto, CA 1991-2010
• Managed 80-room, independently owned boutique hotel. Led and transitioned hotel through the changing landscape of Silicon Valley that included two downturns with negligible loss in net operating
Assistant General Manager – Regis Hotel – San Francisco, CA 1986-1991
• Oversaw operations for 86-room boutique hotel which included associated responsibilities for an onsite restaurant lease, “Regina’s”.
• Direct recruitment and retention of cross-functional executive team.
• Successfully led a team to coordinate Palo Alto Chamber’s largest social event, 2012 Tall Tree Awards Gala for 450 guests.
• Instituted a Green Initiative program, which accomplished the milestone of being the first hotel in Palo Alto to be a certified green business by Santa Clara County.
• Supervised, and developed a highly effective team through coaching, training and mentoring, results revealed through 95% guest satisfaction rating with Market Metrix®.
• Employed a diplomatic, intuitive, and balanced management style, resulting in high employee retention, with less than 10% turnover rate through employee appreciation events and recognition.
Marketing and Sales
• Raised TripAdvisor ranking from #14 to 2 in a field of 35 through positive and consistent guest interaction and service and maintained a #2 or 3 ranking for Palo Alto property.
• Developed and implemented effective sales strategies and marketing plan which optimized the rate and occupancy and drove profit to the bottom line.
• Effective and highly successful organizational turn-around skills through vision, planning and execution.
• Exponentially increased business through commitment to maintain the hotel’s carbon footprint.
• Redesigned hotel website, leveraged new technology & Internet tactics with GM’s blog and relevant articles which help in keyword search rankings for SEO and SEM.
• Created new logo, collateral, and effective print ads to increase awareness in the community.
• Instrumental in increased Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram followers through various campaigns, which promoted genuine interaction and engagement.
• Oversaw two million dollar renovation, resulting in an uptick in reviews and an increase in ADR of 60%
• Formulated and implemented new HR process to include job descriptions, selection criteria, and standardized hiring process, IIPP, and associates handbook.
• Managed food costs, ordering, presentation, and execution of daily breakfast and banquet functions.
• Increased guest satisfaction and net operating income.
• Implemented a successful property Preventative Maintenance program.
• Supervised seamless daily setups and room flips for over 13,000 sq. ft. of meeting space in 7 rooms.
• Compiled and analyzed annual forecasts, marketing plan and $8M operating budget.
• Budgeted resourcefully to control costs and increase profit margins.
• As a consultant, created pro forma and pre-opening budget for local, ground up, 19 room hotel project in Los Altos.
Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce, Chair, Women in Business, Events Committee Member.
RealOrators Toastmaster, Treasurer and Member
Hotels with a Heart, Founding Partner, a hotel program with Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital.
Zero Waste Task Force, Participant
Integral Coaching: Formulated programs for high level executives from Cisco, PG&E and Hotwire, to develop competencies that supported self correcting and self-generating, long term excellence.
Professional Coaching Certification, New Ventures West, 2012